What is it About Volcanic Mud Baths That is So Good for You?
You haven’t lived until you’ve tried the volcanic mud baths at Rincon de la Vieja Volcano in Costa Rica at Hotel Hacienda Guachipelin.
Who would have thought that covering yourself all over with thick gray mud would be so good for you? Volcanic mud baths are reported to keep you healthy, happy, and beautiful … if not exactly smelling like roses.
People have been taking volcanic mud baths for centuries as a form of skin therapy. Mud facials and body treatments can be found now in high-end spas around the world.
Volcanic ash is similar to fine sand (silicon) and is Mother Nature’s natural skin purifier. Not only is it rich in minerals, like sulfur, magnesium and zinc, its exfoliating properties means that it removes dead outer layers of skin while it cleanses the skin. Zinc helps heal inflammation. Magnesium salts alleviate inflammatory disorders of skin and joints. Sulfur has been used to treat every conceivable skin irritation and infection, including acne. The sulfur in volcanic ash also is said to slow down a person’s aging process because of its ability to protect against the toxic effects of pollution and radiation.
Volcanic mud baths typically combine hot spring water with volcanic ash. At the incredible Guanacaste ranch and Hotel Hacienda Guachipelin at the foot of the magnificent Rincon de la Vieja Volcano in Costa Rica, you can enjoy volcanic mud baths at their two natural hot springs. Volcanic hot springs also have been treasured by people all over the world throughout time for their therapeutic benefits.
Hacienda Guachipelin’s Rio Negro Hot Springs feature 10 man-made pools, of varying temperatures, surrounding the Rio Negro (“Black River”). Volcanic mud is heated in a large vat for visitors to paint themselves with big brushes.
On the banks of the Colorado River at the Hacienda Guachipelin Ranch, Simbiosis Spa & Hot Springs features volcanic mud baths, volcanic clay water hot springs pools, a natural sauna, massages and body treatments.
Why should you do a volcanic mud bath?
1) Incredibly relaxing – the warm, soft mixture of the mud is soothing and comforting, like a cozy blanket.
2) Detoxifies your body – the toxins and impurities will be drawn out from your body.
3) Relieves muscle and joint aches and pains – the heat and minerals from a volcanic mud bath and hot springs have incredible anti-inflammatory properties.
4) Softens your skin – the volcanic ash exfoliates your skin.
5) Puts a little adventure in your life – remember when your mother told you not to play in the mud? Now’s your chance to be a little kid again and go for it!
Article by Shannon Farley