Rincon de la Vieja Volcano is slowly becoming a renowned birdwatching destination. Hacienda Guachipelin has sponsored several bird counts. This year’s event will most likely take place in October.
Birds are now becoming another reason to visit the area.
Here we will share a bird list provided the naturalist guide Cesar Güell. Cesar is a professional guide graduated from a Costarrican official training program for naturalist guides. What Cesar most enjoys is to share his knowledge with visitors. He really enjoys a day full of nature in the park or in the surroundings. The bird count in the area exceeds the 200 mark, but Cesar in his past year has registered 65 birds in his own personal list. Come to Rincon de la Vieja and experience the wildlife of Costa Rica with Cesar.
- Black Vulture – Zopilote negro – Coragyps atratus
- Turkey Vulture – Zopilote Cabeza roja – Cathartes aura
- Broad-winged hawk – Gavilan aludo – Buteo platypterus
- Crested Caracara – Carga huesos – Caracara cheriway
- Red billed pigeon – paloma piquiroja – Patagiones cayensis
- Inca dove – paloma inca – Colombina inca
- White fronted parrot – lora de frente blanca – Amazona albifrons
- Crested owl Buho crestado Lophostrix cristata
- Collared trogon – trogon collagero – Trogon collaris
- Keel billed Toucan – Rhamphastos sulfuratus
- Hoffmanns woodpecker Mellanerpes hoffmannii
- Masked tityra – Tityra semifaciata
- Red crowned ant tanager – Habia rubica
- Rufous naped wren – campylorhynchus rufinuca
- Tropical kingbird – Tyranus melancholicus
- Long tailed manakin – chiroxiphia linearis
- Yellow green vireo – Vireo flavoviridis
- White throated magpie jay – Calocitta Formosa
- White lored gnatcatcher Palioptila plumbea
- Kentucky Warbler Oporornis formosus
- Red crowned ant tanager Habia rubra
- Summer tanager Piranga rubra
- Baltimore Oriole Icterus galbula.
- Northern Barred – woodcreeper – Dendrocolaptes sanctithomae.
- Olivaceous woodcreeper – Sittasomus griseicapillus
- Long-tailed Woodcreeper – Glyphorhynchus spirurus
- Dusky Antbird – Cercomacra tyrannina
- Great Curassow – Crax rubra
- Crested Guan – Penelope purpuracens
- Osprey – Pandion haliaetus
- White hawk – Leucopterni albicolis
- Roadside Hawk – Buteo magnirostris
- Short-tailed Hawk – Buteo brachyurus
- Swainsons hawk – Buteo swainsoni
- Gray-necked wood rail – Aramides cajanea
- Leser Ground cukoo – Morococcyx erythropygus
- Spectacled owl – Pulsatrix perpicillata
- Pacific screech owl – Megascops cooperi
- Common pauraque – Nyctidromus albicollis
- White collared Swift – Streptoprocne zonaris
- Ruby throated hummingbird – Amazilia boucardi
- Long billed starthroat – Heliomaster longirostris
- Turquoise browed Motmot – Eumomota superciliosa
- Yellow- eared toucanet- Selenidera spectabilis
- Groove billed Ani – Crotophaga sulcirostris
- Squierrel Cuckoo – Piaya cayana
- Lineated Woodpecker – Dryocopus lineatus
- Pale billed Woodpecker – Campephilus guatemalensis
- Dusky Antbird – Cercomacra tyrannina
- Bare crowned Antbird – Gymnocichla nudiceps
- Piratic Flycatcher – Legatus leucophaius
- Olive sided Flycatcher – Contopus cooperi
- Black phobe – Sayornis nigricans
- Great Kiskadee – Pitangus sulphuratus
- Boat billed Flycatcher – Megarhynchus pitangua
- Social Flycatcher – Myozetetes similis
- Tropical Kingbird – Tyrannus melancholicus
- Philadelphia Vireo – Vireo philadelphicus
- Tropical Gnatcatcher – Polioptila plumblea
- Kentucky Warbler – Oporornis formosus
- Red crowned ant Tanager – Habia rubica
- Red legged honeycreeper – Cyanerpes cyaneus
- Bronzed Cowbird – Molothrus aeneus
- Montezuma Oropendola – Psarocolius Montezuma
- King Vulture – Sarcoramphus papa
We are proud to have received from Trip Advisor a certificate of Excellence for this 2012. Our staff has worked hard every day to do the best effort to satisfy the guests in every possible way. Hacienda Guachipelin has been in operations since 1988 and Trip Advisor has been an important tool since the beginning. It would be almost impossible to inform clients in their own languages about the Hacienda.
The more involved we get with Trip Advisor, the better results that the Hacienda gets.
We are happy to know that 118 TA users have rated Hacienda Guachipelin as excellent. We take our reviews in a very serious way. Our costumers are the ones that evaluate us and remind us of the things that we should improve and the areas where we are good at.
Trip Advisor has been for us a great tool and ever since we started to seriously look into it, we have experienced guests reserving direct through our reservations office.
Despite all challenges, Jessica Gallant was able to hike Rincon de la Vieja. Not to the top, since there has been serious activity on the top, but to pristine waterfalls and through trails.
According to The Edmonton Journal 29 Team Diabetes members had raised more than $228,000. That is a lot of money. We are really happy for the Canadian Diabetes Association.
According to the article, Jessica mentioned “It didn’t matter. I had no idea I could hike six hours on rugged trails with two new hips and a wonky knee.”
Rincon de la Vieja Volcano is a magic place. We are proud that Jessica chose this destination for her challenge.
Hacienda Guachipelin has been expanding the range of activities for years. Our idea is to have have activities available for everyone, no matter age or physical condition. One of the activities that can be practiced is mountain bike. The are many trails with different levels of difficulty within the property. So if mountain bike is on your to do list for your next vacation in Costa Rica, get in touch with us.
This coming june, on the 16th, Hacienda Guachipelin will the home for The North Face Costa Rica Ecogreen Rincon de la Vieja. The categories are 10K, 21K, 42K and 60K.
The route is posted on Facebook . The route is flat and is on trails next to two rivers, which gives it the shade and coolness of the river. The runners will monkeys and all kinds of birds, it is simply spectacular.
Don’t miss out on this race.
Instead of ziplining through the trees and crossing swing bridges on the Caribbean/rainforesty side of the country, however, we were able to go whole hog on the Pacific/dry forest side in the Rincón de la Vieja Volcano National Park of the Guanacaste region, where canopying combines with ziplining, rappeling, rock climbing, canyoneering and…….. as it was mentioned by haunted.com
This is one of the most popular tours at the Hacienda since it has a bit on everything, traversing on trees, traversing in the canyon, up and down, on ropes, on the wall………
This tour is open every day from 8 AM to 5 PM. Rincon de la Vieja is a and active volcano close to the beaches in Guanacaste.
Book your next trip with Jet Blue from NYC directo to Liberia. Liberia is the main city in Guanacaste, Costa Rica’s province where the coast meets the jungle and the volcanoes.
Jet Blue added this new location with 4 new direct flights per week. Liberia is home to the new Daniel Oduber Quiros International Airport (LIR) in the country’s Guanacaste region, a growing haven for ecotourists and surfers. In fact, during the first month of service, JetBlue will waive baggage fees for travelers who check surfboards.
Some people like to fly around the country, specially if the travel plan is not to do stops along the way. Flying makes it more convenient, since it takes only 45 minutes from San José international airport Juan Santa Maria (SJO) to Daniel Oduber International Airport in Liberia (LIR).
As you fly into Guanacaste, one of the nice things to see is the view of the Central Volcanic range, and the Guanacaste Volcanic range. Majestic volcanoes like Poas, Miravalles and Rincon de la Vieja can be seen on the west. As passengers get close to Liberia, they can also observe the Nicoya Gulf on the east.